2008/03/25

Way Kool KVM (not) .. 2 PC's, 1 Keyboard

Ok, all that and a bag of chips.

So I sit at home with my laptop and anytime I want to put something up on the mediaPC in my house to show others I need to VNC into the machine, then use my Laptop's keyboard and mouse to control the machine.

This little tool allows you to create a "virtual desktop" accross machines and OS's. One machine is the "server" which means thats the active keyboard and mouse. Load a client on the other PC and then create a config that says client is to the right of server and server is to the left of client. Now drag your mouse off the right side of the server and you are now on the client.

Confused ? its ok, actually when setting it up I screwed up a few times myself. Interesting little side note, you can make your own pc a neighbor to itself (ok, explain that one). My machine is named goofy, in synergy goofy is to the left of goofy, goofy is to the right of goofy, goofy is above goofy and of course goofy is below goofy. How goofy am I now, well drag the cursor off the top and it shows up on the bottom. Yep go off the left and it pops on the right. Cute trick huh ?

But back to the main reason it exists. Now I can have 2 pc's and 2 monitors on my desk without needing 2 mice and 2 keyboards or some silly KVM.

Rick

No comments: