2011/07/21

Is Audible Good or Evil

I've been a customer of Audible for several years now. In terms of the number of books I read I have over 138 items in my library and that translates to about 75 books.

Audible splits books into chunks of about 8 hrs each, so a book can be 1,2,3 or more downloads (tho I've never seen more than 3).

95% of the time I think Audible is a great service, and I spend on average $250 per year with them on material.

Audible is owned by Amazon, but they are not integrated into Amazon nor do they have any way to integrate themselves into social media (such as this blog).

I love the site, but I have no way to share that with friends / family nor participate in any referral programs. How do they expect to expand their market-share if they are missing out on the biggest marketing opportunity.

What most concerns me about Audible is the DRM on the files. I'm not complaining because I want to pirate the audio, there are many ways to do that if that's what I wanted.

If I were to close my Audible account would I still be able to listen to my books?

If I were to "upgrade" my Audible login to my Amazon login would I have to re-download all of my books ?

If Audible were to be closed down what happens to my purchases ?

I've spent more than $700 with Audible in the last few years and I'm taking it on faith that my purchases are secure for the rest of my life. That spawns another question.

If I purchase a book I can pass it down to my heir's but what about my electronic purchases. Just who's lifetime counts ?

Is it My Lifetime, Audible's lifetime or my Estate's Lifetime ?

I realize most of the Questions around DRM are not just Audible, but Audible is quite closed mouth on this topic. Last year I called and asked these questions and I was told "of course your purchases are safe" but I have no proof of this.

I want an Audible that I know what my recourse is, one that I can profit from by helping them to expand marketshare and one I can talk about and share links without having to cut/paste every link.

No comments: