2012/01/08

My android phone just got molested, Police say nothing they can do

I updated all my apps the other night and yesterday I get a notification that an "Improved Android Market" is now available. I've been waiting for Google to make some updates and clicked on the notification.

Lucky, I don't have a default browser on my phone so I got a popup and noticed the url didn't make any sense. After some digging I discovered its a new "Ad" model. Worse yet according to PRWeek "Airpush Named Finalist in Two Mobile Industry Awards.

So developers now can load an API and not only put ad's in their APP (I've never had a problem with an Ad in my app), but this is gone WAY too far. Now they can put notifications into the top bar even when the app isn't visible misleading people.

Its a real shame, the culprit was one of my favorite apps (MySettings), but its gone now (along with 3 other apps from the same developer).

My real problem is companies like AirPush will succeed but foolish and struggling developers (Like MySettings) will pay the price. I hoped that this was something that happened in the last few days, but reading comments on marketplace it seems that they started including AirPush over a month ago, I just noticed because I just updated.

So my Hat's off to AirPush for finally breaking the Android development community. God Help me for saying this.. But I guess I need to consider an apple product now

No comments: