2016/05/09

OK, how did I miss this .. Star Trek FAN movies and a Series

Last month my other half asks me if i've seen Star Trek Horizons and I look at him like what are you talking about. He points me at a youtube link to find a 90 minute movie done in someone's basement and backyard. It was low budget, bad acting and silly special effects but I was hooked. Watch it here

After spending some time poking around I found a bunch of stuff on youtube, most of it is recorded gameplay that centers around the new game Star Trek Iconians and it's not bad material to watch but then I found my new favorite series.

Star Trek New Voyages (aka Star Trek: Phase II) is a series that started in 2004(3) and has been producing about an episode a year (up to ten episodes now) which can be thought of as Season 4 of ST-ToS with a new cast. It still takes place during the original 5 year mission and includes well constructed cameo's from George Takei, Walter Koenig and a few others from the original series. Watch it here

Production quality is exactly what you'd expect from a fan film, but the special effects are studio quality. It seems that some of the earlier episodes are fairly compressed and suffer lossy compression, but stick with it as it feels like the old television series. By the time I watched the two part Ep 4 & 5 the quality was HD Broadcast quality and the actors really started to shine without losing that "Shatner" style to the Kirk Character.

In addition to the above, i've found a few more projects worth checking out

Star Trek Renegades - YouTube - WikiPedia

Star Trek: Of Gods and Men - YouTube - Wikipedia

And there are more, check out the wikipedia page for all of the projects - here

Live Longer and Far better Entertained